Mr. Newell focuses on:
- Creditor’s rights
- Landlord tenant law.
He is a member of the Indiana State Bar Association and the Tippecanoe County Bar Association. He is past chairman of the Indiana Commission on Continuing Legal Education and is a contributing author and frequent speaker for ICLEF.
Mr. Newell is actively involved in many local charities, has received numerous awards including the Tippecanoe County Bar Association’s Citation of Professional Excellence and the Indiana Bar Association’s Pro Bono Publico Award in 1999.
- Chair, St. Mary Cathedral Haiti Committee, 2000-present
- Board of Directors, Parish Twinning Program of the Americas, 2007–present Chair, Good Scout Award for Sagamore Council Boy Scouts, 2006-present
- Chair, Gus Macker charity tournament, 1998-2003' Board of Directors, Habitat for Humanity, 2000-2007, (President 2004-2005)
- Board of Directors, United Way of Greater Lafayette, 1998-2000
- Board of Directors, Legal Aid Corporation of Tippecanoe County, President 1996-1997
- Past Chairman of Greater Lafayette Chamber of Commerce, 1997, Board of Directors, 1991-1997
- Youth baseball and basketball coach, 1986-1998