How is child support calculated in Indiana?

March 27, 2019
How is child support calculated in Indiana?

If you’re in the process of getting a divorce, you may be wondering what kind of child support arrangement the judge will order. Regardless of whether you‘ll be the one making or receiving payments, knowing the potential outcome of your case can provide considerable peace of mind.

Several factors play a role in child support calculations, so estimating the approximate figure that may apply to your case requires a careful review of all relevant facts. A seasoned family law attorney can help you determine the highest, lowest, and most likely support obligations that your family’s financial situation would warrant.

Read on to learn how child support is calculated in Indiana: 

Step 1: Calculate each party’s weekly gross income.

First, the judge will determine each party’s weekly gross income. This might include:

  • Wages and/​or salary payments
  • Commissions
  • Dividend payments
  • Royalties
  • Rental income
  • Social Security benefits
  • Veterans’ benefits

The judge may also consider the value of other benefits such as free housing or the use of a company car when estimating weekly gross income.

Step 2: Review both Child Support Obligation Worksheets.

For the second step, the judge will review each party’s completed Child Support Obligation Worksheet. This worksheet allows parents who have qualifying financial obligations to adjust their weekly gross income. For example, if you currently pay spousal maintenance (or alimony), that amount will be subtracted from your weekly gross income. 

Step 3: Determine the total financial obligation.

Man researching the question “How is child support calculated in Indiana?”

After making all necessary adjustments, the judge will add both parents’ incomes together and then refer to the state’s child support guidelines. If the parents’ combined income is $1,000 per week and they share one child, the guideline indicates their total financial obligation would be $152 per week.

The noncustodial parent must then pay the custodial parent the percentage of this figure for which he or she is responsible. For example, if you’re the custodial parent and you earn $700 per week, while your ex-partner earns $300 per week, he or she would be responsible for 30 percent of the $152 because he or she earns 30 percent of the income. In other words, you would receive $45.60 per week — or 30 percent of $152 — in child support. 

Step 4: Adjust the child support calculation as needed.

If the judge doesn’t think that following the child support guidelines would result in a fair arrangement, he or she can make reasonable adjustments as needed. For example, noncustodial parents who still care for their children several nights per week might be ordered to pay less than the recommended guidelines. On the other hand, custodial parents who shoulder significant medical bills for the child’s healthcare may be entitled to more support than the predetermined amount.

Discuss your case with a family lawyer in Lafayette.

If you need help pursuing, enforcing, or modifying a child support order, contact Ball Eggleston. Founded in 1950, we have extensive experience helping clients throughout Indiana resolve even the most complicated family law disputes. Call (765) 7429046 or fill out our contact form to schedule a case evaluation with a family law attorney in Lafayette.

Contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.

Ball Eggleston — a Lafayette, Indiana law firm — is located at 201 Main Street, Suite 810 P.O. Box 1535 Lafayette, IN 47902. Contact Ball Eggleston by phone at (765) 7429046, by fax at (765) 7421966, or by email at info@​ball-​law.​com. For additional information, find Ball Eggleston online at ballegg.local.

You can also find the firm on Facebook.

Disclaimer: The content of this blog is intended to be general and informational in nature. It is advertising material and is not intended to be, nor is it, legal advice to or for any particular person, case, or circumstance. Each situation is different, and you should consult an attorney if you have any questions about your situation.