Landlord – Tenant Collections

Help rental transactions go smoothly with a landlord-tenant attorney.

Most landlords and property management companies work hard to ensure their tenants are well taken care of. However, there are times that tenants simply do not work out. Our experienced tenant law attorneys can assist you with lease development, evictions, debt collections, and other tenant disputes.

When they choose to take legal action, you can be prepared.

Whether warranted or not, most landlords and property management companies can find themselves in the middle of a legal dispute with a disgruntled tenant.

We have been helping landlords solve tenant disputes for decades.

If you are dealing with a stubborn tenant, we are happy to act as a neutral mediator to help you resolve the issue, or we can represent you during a hearing, if needed.

Our skilled landlord tenant lawyers can assist with:

Having trouble getting uncollected rent or fees from past tenants? Our attorneys will help you fight to get your money.

Our landlord tenant attorneys have successfully represented landlords in resolving tenant disputes for decades.

A proper lease can help you and your property stay protected. Our attorneys can help you craft this important document.

In the event of a contested eviction, we can be your partner to represent you should there be a lawsuit.

Commonly Asked Questions

When do I have to return a security deposit?

Indiana code provides that a landlord has to return the security deposit to the tenant within 45 days of the termination of the lease. If any part of the security deposit is not being returned, then the landlord must provide a written itemization of the damages being charged against the security deposit.

How long does it take to evict someone?

Every county handles their eviction process a little differently. In Tippecanoe County, you typically get a hearing on your eviction 10 – 12 days after filing the complaint for eviction in small claims court. If the court finds that the tenant violated the lease, the court will give the tenant one week to vacate the premises.

If the tenant still fails to leave, you can obtain a writ of assistance to have the sheriff help. That procedure usually takes another five or six days. All in all, it can take about three weeks from filing the complaint to getting the locks changed.

What can I withhold a deposit for?

Indiana code states a landlord may retain part or all of the security deposit for unpaid rent, the amount of damages the landlord has or will reasonably suffer by reason of the tenant’s noncompliance with the lease, and unpaid utility or sewage charges that are the tenant’s obligation.

Keep your property protected.

Choose a landlord tenant attorney that will help you protect and secure your property and transactions.